The sweaty guy on the treadmill, the happy ladies in the dance class, and the other guy you see doing the stretch exercise may all have different fitness goals. The first trick to getting the best out of your exercises in the gym is knowing the benefits of your workout. The truth is, each of us has specific fitness goals and targets. What is the best exercise that can help relieve you of back pain? What about a great workout for tightening your belly? Get ready to explore with us in this week’s article.
Learn how these 6 exercises in the gym can help give great fitness results.
1. Back Squat
If you want to reduce back pain, squats are a great exercise to help you. The back squat is a lower-body exercise that builds up the quads, glutes and hamstrings, joints, ligaments, and tendons around the knee and hips. The back squat is either done highly or lowly. Fitness lovers call it “the king of all exercises.” You’ll find all the materials needed to back squat, such as; barbell, squat rack, and weights at Fitness 1 Gym.
Here is a step by step way to back squat.
- Place barbell with weights on the squat rack.
- Adjust your body under the bar.
- Rest the barbell across your traps and shoulders.
- Make sure hands are evenly placed on each side of the bar
- Position your feet in the same way as they’d be for an air squat
- Steady your midline and keep your chest up
- Inhale and fill your tummy with air
- Un-rack the bar
- Step back away from the rack
- Breath in
- Stay nice and firm
- Crouch your knees and use the same range of motion as you would in an air squat to drop down into the bottom squat position
- Exhale as you push out of the bottom back squat position
- Repeat for multiple reps
Give your body time and space to recuperate when you complete the exercise. Recovery would prevent unnecessary body aches and injuries. Include squats in your daily workout routine and allow your body to enjoy the refreshing benefits.
2. Dumbbell Bent Over Row
Are you looking to build your muscles while focusing on your back and shoulders? The dumbbell bent-over row is your go-to exercise. Also called the “two-arm bent over dumbbell row, or the bent over two-dumbbell row,” the dumbbell bent-over row is popular for building muscle and strength.
Before you start this workout, hold the dumbbell in each hand. Grasp them shoulder-width apart. Be sure to bend over at about a 45-degree angle, Maintain focus, and keep your back straight throughout the exercise. Now, continue to brace your abdominals and inhale. Lift the weights straights exhaling.
The focus of the dumbbell bent-over row is the muscles in the upper and middle back, like the:
- Latissimus dorsi
- Teres minor
- Teres major
- Posterior deltoid.
Remember these simple guidelines during this workout
- Clasp a dumbbell in each hand, and stand with your feet hip- to shoulder-width apart.
- Hinge at your waist to push your hips back, bend your knees slightly, and lower your trunk until it’s nearly opposite to the floor.
- Let the dumbbells remain at arms-length with your palms facing each other.
- Avoid moving your torso, and while keeping your elbows tucked and back flat, row the weights to your sides as you compress your shoulder blades together.
- Hold on, and then lower the weights back to the starting position.
- Continue your workout gently
Here are some more tips
- Protect yourself from strain by properly positioning your back.
- Imagine an orange in-between your shoulder blades, and try squeezing the juice out of it as you pull the weights to your sides.
A prevalent exercise noted for tightening the belly, gaining flat tummies, exercising the abdomen, and building six-pack abs.
Follow these steps to learn how to exercise with the crunch machine at the gym.
Consider These Steps:
- The Seated Machine
- Be sure the seat’s height is rightly positioned to your body so that your shoulder can rest back nicely on the padding.
- Choose a weight load to use and fix the pin into the corresponding hole
- Ensure your core is flexible, push against the padded lever, and bend forward at the waist. Your hips should stay in the seat always. Be conscious of that.
- Inhale as you come to your formal position and finish your movement. The repetition is done when your body returns to an upright position. Then, you can do it several.
- Lying machine
- First, your head should rest comfortably on top of your head pad.
- Choose the load you want to raise by fixing the pin in its hole.
- The lying ab crunch equipment has grip bars that you can use to keep yourself grounded to ensure that your abs do most of the work.
- Exhale as you reverse continuously.
- Inhale as you return your body to your previous position
4. Aerobic exercise or Endurance training
The word “aerobic” means “involving, or needing free oxygen” and implies the use of oxygen to meet energy demands while exercising through aerobic metabolism rightly. This means that aerobic exercise is a physical exercise of low to high intensity whose primary focus is aerobic energy-generating.
Fitness 1 Gym is a great place to get some aerobic exercise. Whether you’re thinking of spinning, running, walking, dancing, or even kickboxing, we have exercising machines like the treadmills, stationary bikes, and elliptical machines to help you. Our weekly dance classes for children and adults are quickly becoming the talk of the town. Imagine melting away some belly fat and having fun doing it.
Our current dance packages include:
- Samba Fitness with Musa Akua.
Time: Saturdays, from 8 am -10 am.
Rate: 50gh per session.
- Vogue Fusion (Heels class with Nela Elle)
Time: Thursdays, at `6:30 pm
- Dance with Yve
Time: Fridays, at 6:30 pm
Rate: 50gh per session
- Kids Dance Fitness
For: Children 6yrs -15yrs
Time: Saturdays, from 10am -2pm
Rate: 30gh per session
5. Static Stretching
This kind of exercise is mostly done after working out, but most people ignore it. At Fitness 1 Gym, we encourage you to do more of this exercise to become a part of your life. If you want to upgrade your flexibility and decrease muscle tension in the body, try the static stretching exercise.
Here are some examples of static stretching and how to do them well:
- Lunging hip flexor stretch
- Kneel on your left knee. Keep your right knee bent, with your right foot flat on the floor in front of you.
- Lean forward and stretch your left hip out toward the floor.
- Hold this stretch for 30 to 60 seconds before switching legs and doing the opposite side.
- Piriformis stretch
This kind of stretch focuses on your piriformis muscle that runs from the base of your spine to your thigh bone
- Start by sitting on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Keeping your right leg flat on the floor, lift your left leg and place your left ankle on your right knee.
- Slightly arch your back and lean forward until a stretch is felt in your buttocks. Hold the stretch for 30sec
- Do it 2 or 3 times with each leg.
6. Hip Thrust
The hip exercise is an exercise designed to boost your strength, speed, and power by optimal hip extension. The glutes are to stretch the hip or pull the leg behind the body.
Below is how the Hip thrust is done.
- Fix yourself in the hip thrust starting position
- Be in a hip thrust bridge position
- Place your feet directly under your knees
- Your neck should be positioned neutrally
- Engage your glutes throughout the exercise
Let’s explore a few hacks that could make your exercise yield greater results.
- Plan your workouts.
- Listen to music
- Schedule rest breaks if you get exhausted
- Drink enough water
- Get a better night sleep
- Book a massage session with Fitness 1 Gym
- Drink chocolate milk
- Explore in the gym. Don’t always use one machine for exercise. Try others.
- Read about exercising online.
- Balance your workouts with healthy foods.
- Respect your time
- Improve on your speed daily
- Make friends who love fitness too.
- Respect and be consistent with your trainer
You will need discipline, consistency, and focus on getting the best out of these exercises in the gym.
Did you find this article helpful? If you’re in Accra and looking for a gym near you to enjoy the best fitness, Fitness 1 Gym is the best in Accra. We’re always ready to have a conversation with you. Call us at 0508118888.
Our professional coaches are always ready to guide you in doing these exercises, so you don’t have to worry. Are there any exercises you didn’t see in this article but think should have made a list? Mention them in the comments section.
- Fit Athletic Club, How Do I Maximize My Workout Results, November 27, 2019.
- K. Aleisha Fetters, C.S.C.S., The Five Workout Moves That Show The Fastest Results, January 16,
- Kathryn Watson, 6 Simple, Effective Stretches To D.O. After Your Workout, July 23, 2019.
- Kirsten Nunez, How To Do Crunches And Other Exercises For Toned Abs, September 26, 2019.
- Paul Rogers, How To Do A Dumbbell Bent Over Row, September 01, 2020.